Chipotle Bison Chili

  


I was really wanting Bison chili for some reason... A smokey, chipotle chili that would be good topped with blue cheese.... I was flying off the cuff adding this and that to achieve a desired flavor. The first time I made it, I loved it but of course since it was dash, bam, boom... I didn't measure a darn thing. I had to re make it several times to pay closer attention to what I did. So here it is! I hope you like it!!

Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp liquid smoke
1/2 yellow onion
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 Bell Peppers (red & green)
1 jalapeƱo
1/3c navy dry beans
1/3c dry garbanzo beans
1/3c dry red beans
1 lb ground bison
1-2 chipotle chicken sausage (Trader Joe's)
1c sliced cherry tomatoes

Spices:

4 tsp ground chipotle
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano

Step 1:

Make sure you soak your beans overnight in water. If you forgot and don't have much time left put them in a crock pot on high, cover the beans in double the amount in water.
In the crock pot the beans will take about 5 hours to cook.
You can boil on the stove on high, which can be a risky task if you're busy. 

 

Step 2:

In a large pan on the stove heat a tablespoon of olive oil and liquid smoke (this is a very important ingredient!) next add in your minced garlic and diced onion.
Cook until the onions are translucent. 

Step 3:

Add in your spices and diced Peppers. 

Step 4:

Slice your sausage and add to the pan along with your ground bison . Cook until bison is all browned.- I didnt make it to Trader Joes this time so I tried to find the healthiest sausage out there... BTW... I use chicken sausage

Step 5:

Now add in your beans and about one cup of sliced cherry tomatoes.
Let it simmer until tomatoes are completely wilted. 

 

 

WARNING:

This dish is spicy! If you're not that into spicy food cut back on the cayenne pepper and jalapenos.
also since I don't cook with salt, if the dish feels like it needs more flavor go ahead and add 1/4 tsp of salt in about 1 tbsp of tomato paste.

finally top your dish cheese and avocado and dig in!!! Any way you choose! Chips or Spoons allowed!!


No comments:

Post a Comment