Baking Substitutions

In all my recipes you can pretty much change things around worry free! I pretty much play in the kitchen and that's how things come about...


In Muffins or Cookies:

Soy or Whey Protein: can be substituted Worry Free

Protein Free: Add your favorite gluten-free flour (Coconut, Almond, Brown Rice, Soy) In place of the Protein Powder.

Apple Sauce: If you don't have Apple Sauce use 1/4c of baking Stevia and 1/4 of liquid (coconut or Almond Milk) to replace 1/2c of Apple Sauce. You can also use honey or agave but 1/4c is plenty to replace the apple sauce sweetness, then add a little more (14c)  liquid if its too dry.

Stevia: Can replace any sugar equally but stevia is much sweeter. I prefer to use 1/2c apple sauce and 1/4c less liquid instead of stevia. But my recipes vary depending on what I have on hand.

Baking Soda: I always prefer Baking Soda over Baking Powder since its gluten free and I feel like it makes it rise nicer too. You can always use 1 tsp white vinegar or xanthan gum when needed. I have never had problems with my gluten free baking holding together but if you do that's when xanthan gum comes in handy.

Oatmeal: I prefer oatmeal but you can use any flour you choose, wheat works as well. Oatmeal is naturally gluten-free however if you don't buy the "certified gluten-free" oatmeal, because the oats and wheat are processed in the same facility there is some cross contamination. Not certified oats will contain a small amount of gluten. I don't buy certified gluten-free oats personally because I don't have celiac disease but I like the way living gluten-free feels. 

Eggs: I like to use egg whites and usually just buy the carton of them, I like the way they make my baked goods turn out. If using whole eggs, use 1/2 the amount of egg whites I use.  1 egg = 2 egg whites. If you don't want to use eggs you can use flax seed.  1 TBSP ground flax seed and + 3 tbsp water = 1 egg. 

If there are ANY questions about other substitutions feel free to message me and I'll add it to my list!

Have fun in the kitchen!  

~Tabitha


No comments:

Post a Comment